A Newsletter from Mpika Diocese
|4-6 June||MPAZACDC||St. Andrews|
|5-8 June||Pastoral year review session||St. Dominic’s – Lusaka|
|13 June||Chilonga Hospital Board||Chilonga|
|8-14 July||Economic Justice Workshop||Kasama|
|21 July||Eclipse of the Sun|
|23-27 July||AZACDC; General meeting||Lusaka|
|30 July-10 August||Local Clergy on-going Formation||ICL|
|4 August||Francis Kangwa’s (MAfr) Ordination||Serenje|
Catechetical Training Centre
There was a change in the date of closure of the Mulilansolo CTC. The Catechetical
School closed on 9th July 2001 instead of 27th June and will re-open on September 14 2001.
Ordination to Diaconate
Congratulations to Seminarians George Ndawa and Richard Kangwa who were ordained
to the Diaconate on 3 June in St. Dominic’s Major Seminary, Lusaka. Please keep them
in your prayers as they enters their final year of initial priestly formation.
Solemn Religious Profession
Brother Lwanga Mubanga OSB made his Solemn (Final) Profession in the Monastic Order
of Missionary Benectines on 11 July 2001. He is the first Zambian Benedictine to reach
final vows. We congratulate him and assure him of our prayers so that he may persevere
in his vocation.
Emmaus Spirituality Centre has offered 5 places to each Diocese for the academic year
2001-2002. God willing the Diocese hopes to fill up all the 5 places.
Three Seminarians have completed their spiritual year and will start their Philosophy I this
academic year. Four Seminarians will start their Theology I at St. Dominic’s on 17th August 2001.
Seminarians’ Pastoral Year
The following Seminarians are on Pastoral Year from June 2001-June 2002.
Bonaventure Bwanakweri: Chalabesa
Joseph Kanyanta: St. Andrews
Edward Chilufya: Isoka
On 6 and 7 July 2001 at Chalabesa the trio was hosted by the Pastoral Co-ordinator at a forum intended to introduce them to the Diocesan Pastoral Plans and to acquaint them with policies guiding the operations of various organs in
the Diocese. At the end of the day, the seminarians felt a bit more acquainted with the system.
- Fr. Peter Pilawa, M. Afr. (Chinsali) celebrates 20 years of ordination this year. He was ordained on 18 July 1981.
- Sr. Odilia Mangimela SCJ (Chilonga) celebrates 30 years of Religious life this year. She professed on 2 July 1971.
- Br. Nolasco Lwila OSB (Katibunga) celebrates 30 years of Religious Life. He took his first oath on 11 July 1971.
- Fr. Paul Simukanzye (Mpima) celebrates his 10 years of ordination, he was ordained on 25 August 1991
- Fr. Charles Kabuswe (Mulilansolo) celebrates his 10 years of ordination, he was ordained on 7 September 1991
- Sr. Gracious Mushili SCJ (Chilonga) celebrates 10 years of religious life, her first profession was on 7 December 1991
- Miss Giovanna Sansini ALM celebrates 20 years of service, she made her oath on 29 August 1981
- Sr. Liberia Mbotwa SCJ celebrates 20 years of religious life, she first professed on 8 December 1981
We wish them all God’s abundant blessings and fruitful apostolate in our diocese.
Sr. Euphrasia Sakala, the Provincial Superior of the Little Servants of Mary Immaculate
accompanied by Sr Annette Kunda, the Chairperson of Lwitikila Girls Management Board went
to Lwitikila 7 to 12 June. The visit was a result of the disturbances at Lwitikila Girls
Secondary School in the wake of Mpika Boys High School action on 4 and 5 June of forcing
the Girls at the institution to demonstrate over the Strike staged by the Teachers.
- Sr. Emeldah Mwape SCJ from Chengelo Community to Malole.
- Fr. Peter Pilawa from Chinsali to Germany for a medical check-up.
- Johannes Dietrich (Jojo) a German Volunteer who returned to work at the Diocesan Headquarters
for a few months before going back for studies.
- Kurt Schitt, another German Volunteer who has come to work in the Diocesan Headquarters for a
- Miss Diana Nzara – AIDS/HBC Diocesan Coordinator.
A warm welcome to you all and wishing you God’s blessings during your stay in the Diocese.
- Giovanna Sansini left early June for home leave in Italy.
- Ilondola RHC Management on the death of their worker, Mr. Charles Katongo who passed away on 8 June.
- Cornelius Chikopela whose elder brother passed away on 10 June in Livingstone.
- Miss Perpetual Nsenje ALM whose father passed away on 23 July in Lusaka.
We pray that God will comfort and strengthen the families in their sorrow and grant eternal rest to their departed loved ones.
Called to monastic life?
The Benedictines are happy to announce that their formation will now be done in Katibunga and not Tanzania as has been the case to date. Young men interested in joining them are to:-
- Send an application to the Vocation Director OSB together with the Baptismal, Confirmation and Educational Certificates
- Get testimonials from their Parish Priest and the Church Council
- Fill in the questionnaire which they get in reply to the application
- Attend a “come and see programme” for 2/3 weeks at the end of which one writes his experience during the stay
- All those with E-mail addresses are requested to forward them to the Bishop’s Secretary so that they can receive “Our Diocese” electronically.
- Please send us news of notable events in your parish for inclusion in “Our Diocese”.
- The E-mail address for the Vocation Director is firstname.lastname@example.org