A Newsletter from Mpika Diocese
|8 – 14 October||Charismatic Renewal for Clergy & Religious||Francisdale-Ndola|
|9 – 11 October||Chinsali Deanery Meating||Chinsali|
|15 – 17 October||Mpika Deanery Meeting||Kopa|
|20 October||Diocesan ZAS Meeting||Headquarters|
|2 – 4 November||Original Encounter Week-end (clergy & religious)||Mpika|
|19 November||Transport/Finance Committee Meeting||ICL|
|20 – 22 November||DPC/Consulters||ICL|
|23 November||Sisters-in-charge RHCs||Chilonga|
|24 November||Diocesan Health Board||Chilonga|
The month of August is known to be a busy one on the Youth Ministry calendar. This year a lot of things happened:
- Dopcesan Youth Council (DYC) on 21 – 24 August:
The DYC was held at ICL with 3 Parishes (Mulilansolo, Mulanga and Ilondola) being absent. The Bishop, in his address to the
council, encouraged the youth to believe in the difference they can make to better the world. “Our Youth you are the hope
of the church, the hope of the world”, he confidently said. Further, he warned the council on the new forms of idols,
namely: power, wealth, comfort and pleasure owing to the destruction of mankind.
- Deanery Rallies: Both Deaneries succeeded in holding rallies. Mpika from 30 August to 2 September at Chilonga; Chinsali
from 3 to 7 September at Ilondola. The Chilonga one attracted over 150 youths with Kopa Parish absent, whereas the Ilondola
one had over 120 youths without Mulanga’s participation. Prior to the Deanery rallies, Mulilansolo, Isoka, Chilonga, Icengelo,
St. Andrew’s and Chalabesa parishes had rallies organised at parish level.
- Camps: 120 Xaverians from Icengelo, Chilonga and St. Andrew’s Parishes camped at the Lwitikila Falls during the first
week of September. They were in the same area as 56 Mass Servers who too camped there during the same period. There were also
Youth Camps conducted at sub-parish levels in Serenje Parish. On these occasions the Life Educators Facilitators provided BCP
information. Chinsali Mass servers had a three days camp. Kopa Parish had their parish meeting/rally coinciding with the
“cinama nongo” a Bisa Cultural ceremony over the week-end of 21-23 September.
Catholic Youth Association (CAYA)
Behavior Change Program Activities:
- 20-26 August: BCP seminars in Serenje sub-parishes during the Youth camps. Over 300 youths went through BCP. CAYA of Mpika
and Serenje worked jointly. There was excellent co-operation.
- 8 September: Two CAYA BCP FACILITATORS of Icengelo Parish married in Church and Fr. Matepa, the Pastoral Coordinator
blessed their marriage. The newly-wed are Mwaka Mulenga and Jane Kasonde. Congratulations. The couple has been CAYA BCP
Facilitators since 1997. Abstinence was a reality to them. The first CAYA who married was Agatha Musawa.
- 15 September: 20 Youths and 30 parents attended a Parent-Elder BCP seminar at Kuku Center in Icengelo Parish. The
center organized everything except CAYA facilitators. This is indeed a challenge to other centers.
- 19-26 September: 8 CAYA FACILITATORS from Icengelo and St. Andrews were in Lukaka and Mpepo sub-parishes for BCP on
request by the parish.
If the Church Councils need PARENT ELDER BCP seminars kindly get in touch with CAYA OFFICE at Icengelo through Mr.
Clement Mumbo, CAYA Coordinator or Fr. I. Chimpali, the Youth Chaplain.
An important event in the history of Benedictine Monks of Katibunga took place at Katibunga on 1st October, 2001:
- Katibunga, formerly a sub-parish of St. Andrew’s Parish became a Parish administered by the Benedictines. The new
church was blessed and officially opened by the Vicar General, Fr. Charles Kabuswe. Fr. Bruno Haule was appointed
- The Katibunga monastery was officially elevated to a Priory and Fr. Will broad Nzota was appointed Prior.
- Ignatius Mwaba, Barnabas Mukantemwa and Ambrose Chisumbe, three Zambian Novices made their simple vows.
- The Solemnity of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, the Patron Saint of Katibunga Monastery was celebrated.
Around 10:00 hrs Abbot Alcuin Nyirenda OSB, Pater Frederik Kell from Kloster Jakobsberg in Germany, Fr. Kabuswe, Priests,
Religious Men & Women and all Christians, that had come to celebrate with the Benedictines went in procession to the
new church, where Mass was to take place. The Chibote Singers of St. Andrew’s Parish and a Brass Band (Tanzanian OSB Novices)
led the congregation in the singing of beautiful hymns. After mass lunch was served for everybody and some time was dedicated
Original Marriage Encounter Week-end
The original marriage encounter weekend for Priests, Religious and ALM of the Diocese scheduled for 19-21 October 2001
has been postponed to 2-4 November 2001 at ICL. The inconvenience caused by this change of dates is regretted. Looking forward
to seeing many participants.
Sr. Irene P. Mutale (LSMI) from Mpika’s H/Q Community has left the Diocese to join Mansa community in the Diocese of Mansa.
Congratulations to Srs: Felistas Mpundu, Elizabeth Mutamba, Albertina Nondo, Catherine Chisanga and Juliet Chingambo (SCJ) who
took their final vows on 14 October in Kasama. Sr. Elizabeth Mutamba is the Manager Administration of Our Lady’s Hospital in
Chilonga. Sr. Catherine Chisanga originally comes from Ichengelo Parish in Mpika.
Sr. Justina Chabala (LSMI) whose brother passed away in Lusaka on 5 October 2001.
Rev. Fr. Daniel Kashimoto who had gone for an operation to South Africa had a successful surgery and is back in Chilonga
Parish. Many thanks to all for the prayers offered in his intention.
- All those with E-mail addresses are requested to forward them to the Bishop’s Secretary so that they can receive “Our Diocese” electronically.
- Please send us news of notable events in your parish for inclusion in “Our Diocese”.
- Don’t forget to check your pigeonhole for mail when you visit the diocesan headquarters